Tertiary education plays a crucial role in advancing careers, boosting income potential, and staying competitive in an ever-evolving job market. Each year, millions of Australians enrol in various educational programs offered by universities, TAFE institutions, Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), and Vocational Education and Training (VET) providers. Whether pursuing a formal qualification or gaining informal skills, these courses can significantly enhance one’s career prospects.

However, the cost of education—covering tuition fees, textbooks, travel, and other related expenses—can be substantial. To alleviate this financial burden and encourage skill development, the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) allows tax deductions for eligible self-education expenses. This article will explore the deductibility of self-education costs and clarify what can and cannot be claimed on your personal tax return.

Understanding Self-Education Expenses

Self-education expenses encompass the costs incurred while studying at an educational institution, attending work-related conferences, or participating in self-directed study tours, whether within Australia or overseas. Importantly, these expenses do not need to be tied to a formal qualification to qualify for a tax deduction.

Eligible Self-Education Expenses

You are entitled to claim a tax deduction for self-education expenses if the education is directly related to your income-earning activities, such as your job. The ATO considers education sufficiently connected to your income if:

  1. The education helps you maintain or enhance the specific skills or knowledge necessary for your current employment, and/or;
  2. The education is likely to increase your income from your employment activities.

For instance, consider John, an apprentice electrician who works three days a week with his employer and attends TAFE two days a week to study for a Certificate III in Electrotechnology. Since John’s education directly improves the skills required for his current role, he can claim a deduction for his self-education expenses.

You can claim a tax deduction for a wide range of self-education expenses, including:

  • Tuition or Course Fees: This includes fees paid through FEE-HELP and VET loans.
  • Conference or Seminar Fees: Costs associated with attending work-related conferences and seminars.
  • General Course Expenses: These include textbooks, academic journal subscriptions, printing, internet usage, phone calls, and more.
  • Depreciation of Educational Assets: This covers computers, office furniture, technical instruments, tools, and other equipment used for educational purposes.
  • Travel Expenses: Costs incurred while travelling to and from your place of education. Note that some travel expenses may be considered private and are not deductible.
  • Accommodation and Meal Expenses: If your education requires you to be temporarily away from home, such as when attending a conference, these costs can be deductible.
  • Interest on Loans: Interest on loans borrowed to pay for deductible self-education expenses can also be claimed.

However, expenses paid by someone else, such as your employer, or expenses for which you are reimbursed, cannot be claimed as deductions.

Ineligible Self-Education Expenses

Not all self-education expenses are eligible for tax deductions. You cannot claim a deduction for self-education expenses if:

  • You are unemployed.
  • The training is not sufficiently related to your current employment.
  • The training is intended to enable you to change employment or start a new career.
  • The training only generally relates to your normal employment activities.

For example, Grace is pursuing a fashion degree at university while working at a clothing boutique. Although her job and her studies are generally related, the advanced professional skills she is acquiring in her degree program exceed the requirements of her current role. Consequently, Grace cannot claim a deduction for her self-education expenses.

Apportioning Partially Deductible Expenses

Even if some of your self-education expenses are not directly related to your current employment, you may still be able to claim a partial deduction. The ATO requires you to apportion such expenses and claim only the eligible portion.

For instance, Andrew works as a network engineer for an IT company. To accommodate a new client using unfamiliar networking technology, Andrew enrolls in a relevant course. Halfway through, Andrew changes jobs and becomes a software developer, but he decides to complete the course. Since the course is no longer related to his new job, Andrew can only claim a deduction for the fees paid while he was still employed as a network engineer.

In Andrew’s case, apportioning the expenses could be done in one of two ways:

  1. If the fees are paid in distinct parts (e.g., two payments for the entire course), Andrew can claim a deduction for the portion directly related to his original employment.
  2. If the fees are not distinctly divided, they could be fairly apportioned based on the coursework completed before changing jobs. For example, if Andrew completed 40% of the course before changing jobs, he could claim a deduction for 40% of the expenses.

The method of apportioning self-education expenses varies case by case. It is advisable to consult with a Certified Practising Accountant (CPA) to ensure you only deduct eligible expenses. Alternatively, consulting tax lawyers in Brisbane can provide more personalised guidance tailored to your specific situation.


Investing in self-education is a strategic way to advance your career and increase your earning potential. Understanding the tax implications and knowing which expenses are deductible can significantly reduce the financial burden of further education. Always ensure your education expenses are closely related to your current employment activities and seek professional advice when needed to maximise your tax benefits.

The post Navigating Tax Deductions for Self-Education Expenses in Australia appeared first on Legal Desire Media and Insights.